I read an article today on SparkPeople that called out the top five surprisingly high calories Halloween treats.
I knew that fun sized candy bars weren’t exactly “fun” for the waistline and that candy apples aren’t considered a health food, but to find out that the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte has 410 calories – that is enough to make me scream in fright! If I am going to consume over 400 calories, it better be in the form of a hot fudge brownie sundae.
Pumpkin breads, cookies and scones also made the list, but I have an easy solution to that problem….make your own.
I made my own recipe for a chocolate chip pumpkin cookie and they are not only delicious, but healthy too. These cookies are chockfull of pumpkin, which provides antioxidants, vitamin A and omega-3 fatty acids. One cup of pumpkin has only 26 calories, but has 246 percent of the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of Vitamin A, 1 gram of protein and 1 gram of fiber. Pumpkin is also an excellent source of zeaxanthin, which is an antioxidant that helps the eyes. Pumpkin is also rich in minerals, including copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
These delicious pumpkin cookies are healthy and yummy!
Stacy’s Chocolate Chunk Pumpkin Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Sucanat
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 15-oz. can pumpkin
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- ½ cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 and line with silpat.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt in medium bowl. Beat sugar and Greek yogurt in large mixer bowl until well blended. Beat in egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Add pumpkin and mix until just combined. Gradually beat in flour mixture, being careful not to over mix. Gently stir in chocolate chunks and walnuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Also, don’t forget to buy Guilt-Free Cupcakes: Indulge without the bulge for more healthy Halloween recipes! You can buy the book for only $3.99 on the Kindle, iBook or the Nook!
Let me know if you try these and if you like them!